Reinstatement Petition Process
The Reinstatement Petition Form is for students recently dismissed from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) or School of the Arts (SOTA) and students who have recently requested a Change of School into the CLAS or SOTA and were denied due to not meeting admission requirements.
Deadline for reinstatement petition for the Spring 2019 term is January 17th.
If you are enrolled for the spring semester you must submit your petition by the deadline in order to request to continue for the spring semester. Spring classes will be dropped if the petition is not submitted or the petition is denied.
Please do not wait to fill out petition. If additional information is needed we will contact you. If you would like to talk to someone regarding your petition you can call (785) 864-3500 but you should not delay in submitting your petition.
Before you fill out the form:
Understand that this is a petition to continue at KU, it does not remove your academic dismissal. An approved petition will not guarantee that you will still receive Financial Aid. You will need to contact them to see what steps you may have to take to petition for aid for your next semester.
If you are planning to petition for an exception to the academic standing policy, please note that your petition should demonstrate that you have taken advantage of opportunities available to you to improve your chances of academic success, including but not limited to: completion of an academic plan this semester with your advisor; improvement in term GPA; meeting(s) with your faculty mentor (if you are assigned to one); within one semester (based on grade point calculation) of returning to good academic standing; and/or within one semester of graduation.
• Explain why an exception should be made for you?
• What documented extreme or unusual circumstances should be taken into consideration that prevented you from doing well at KU, specifically during this semester?
• What steps do you plan on taking to improve your academics at KU if you were allowed to be readmitted or remain at KU? Please be specific.
• If approved, you will need to earn your required KU term GPA every semester until your KU cumulative GPA reaches or exceeds a 2.00. Please tell us the specific grades you plan on earning in the classes you are enrolled in or hope to enroll in. Please note: Your academic performance may have also impacted your financial aid (including scholarships) and if that is the case we want to see your financial plan for the upcoming term. If you need assistance please contact Financial Aid & Scholarships.
Click here to complete online: REINSTATEMENT PETITION FORM
You will be able to attach documentation once you have logged on and are in the online form. You will need to attach your documents prior to hitting submit. You will see the following options at the bottom of the form.
- Please use the latest version of Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari to open this document. There are known issues with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.
- If you experience any technical difficulties with the online process, after you have tried it on one of the recommended browsers listed above, you can contact KU IT Help Desk at (785) 864-8080.
- If you can't fill out the form due to technical issues you can submit your petition on the paper reinstatement form. Documentation that cannot be submitted with your online petition should be addressed to the College Advising and Student Services office, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd, Strong Hall RM 109, Lawrence, KS 66045-7535 or by fax, (785) 864-5806.
If petition is approved:
If approved, you will be allowed to continue at KU after your dismissal. This will not remove the dismissal from your record. An approval also does not guarantee that you will be eligible for financial aid or that an appeal for aid will be approved.