Graduation Paperwork

Graduation Deadlines

Graduation Deadlines

Early Audit  (Apply on or before this date to receive a priority degree audit)

Spring 2017 - November 18, 2016

Summer 2017 – April 14, 2017

Fall 2017 - July 7, 2017

Apply for Graduation

Spring 2017 - March 1, 2017

Summer 2017 – July 17, 2017

Fall 2017 - November 1, 2017

Study Abroad Paperwork

Course/Requirement Petitions

Spring 2017 - October 1, 2016

Summer 2017 – March 1, 2017

Fall 2017 - May 1, 2017

Incomplete Grades

Spring 2017 - May 19, 2017

Summer 2017 – August 4, 2017

Fall 2017 - December 22, 2017

Transfer Credit

Spring 2017 - June 8, 2017

Summer 2017 – August 17, 2017

Fall 2017 - January 11, 2018

Honors Intent Forms

Spring 2017 – March 1, 2017

Summer 2017 – July 17, 2017

Fall 2017 - November 1, 2017

Graduation Requirements

In order to graduate from the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences a student must officially apply for graduation and satisfy all of the following requirements:

  • A minimum KU Cumulative GPA of 2.00
  • A minimum 120 credit hours
  • A minimum 45.00 Junior/Senior (300+) credit hours
  • A minimum 30.00 Junior/Senior credit hours in residence (through KU)
  • All KU Core requirements
  • All BA, BS, BGS, BFA or BAE degree specific requirements
  • All major and minor (if applicable) requirements including:
    • Overall hours
    • Junior/Senior (300+) credit hours
    • Residency hours
    • minimum Major Junior/Senior GPA of 2.00
    • minimum KU Minor GPA of 2.00 (if applicable)
Application to Graduate
  • The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences does not automatically graduate students upon completion of all requirements.
  • A student must file an online application through KU’s Enroll & Pay to signify that they are ready to graduate.  
    • A student should apply before the College's Early Audit Deadline to ensure timely graduation information.
    • A student should apply to graduate for the semester that all degree requirements will be completed and not based on the semester that they want to walk down the hill.  For example, if a student plans to complete their degree requirements in spring, the student should apply for spring graduation.  If a student plans to complete their degree requirements in the summer, they should apply for summer graduation.
    • A student can access the Enroll & Pay application by signing into their Enroll & Pay account and then in the main menu clicking on “Degree Progress/Graduation,” followed by “KU Apply for Graduation.”
    • A student must file an application through Enroll & Pay for each semester/term they anticipate graduating. Applications to graduate do not roll-forward, so if a student applied to graduate in spring and does not meet all degree requirements, then they will need to re-apply for the next semester or term that they anticipate their requirements will be completed. 
  • If a student misses the online deadline to apply for their intended semester of graduation, then they should contact their College Graduation Advisor by email as soon as possible to file an application offline. If a student does not know who their College Graduation Advisor is, they may contact College Student Academic Services in 109 Strong Hall or call 785-864-3500.
  • If a student misses an application deadline to graduate in the fall or spring semester then their name will not be included in the associated graduation program that is printed and distributed at the graduation ceremony.
    • Applications to graduate in the spring semester are typically available August 1st of the semester prior to that spring and available through March 1st of the intended semester of graduation.
    • Applications to graduate in the summer term are typically available October 1st of the fall semester prior to the next summer term and are available through July 15th of the intended term of graduation.
    • Applications to graduate in the fall semester are typically available March 1st of the spring semester prior to the coming fall and are available through November 1st of the intended semester of graduation.
Evaluating your application

Degree Audit

  • Students are encouraged to apply to graduate through Enroll & Pay the semester prior to their intended semester of graduation. 
    • There is an early audit deadline for each respective semester or term. 
    • If a student applies by the early audit deadline then the College Graduation Advisor will be able to review the student’s record before the start of their final semester. This is beneficial for all students, as it allows Graduation Advisors enough time to identify possible issues that may require a change in enrollment, and notify the student.  If issues are caught early, then the student may still have time to correct their schedules before the first day of their final semester, (rather than finding out in the midst of their last intended semester that there is a problem).

Graduation Reviews

  • Once a student has applied to graduate through Enroll & Pay the College Graduation Advisor will review the student’s record, this is known as a Graduation Review. 
    • If everything is on-track for graduation, then the student will receive an Academic Notice through their MyKU Portal. 
    • If the Graduation Advisor cannot tell how a requirement(s) is being completed then the student will receive an email asking for clarification on the outstanding requirements. 
  • A graduation review will take place once a given semester or term has started. Once the fall semester (or other respective semester) has started, the College Graduation Advisors will conduct Graduation Reviews continuously up until the graduation deadline that same semester. For example, in fall the application deadline is typically November 1st, so the Graduation Advisors would review applications throughout the semester as they come in up until the last day to apply- November 1st

Commencement/Walking Down the Hill/Fall Graduation

***This information applies to undergraduate students in the College only.  For information about opportunities for graduate students please see Grad Services website.

  • Anyone in cap and gown may choose to walk down the hill in May; however, the accompanying graduation program will display the names of students who graduated the previous summer and fall as well as candidates for the current spring semester (for spring candidates, this assumes that they applied by the March deadline to be included in the program). 
  • Some students who graduated or are current candidates for graduation may have requested that their name be withheld from the Commencement Program. 
  • Students who plan to complete their degree requirements in summer should apply for summer graduation.  Students who plan to complete their degree requirements in fall should apply for fall graduation.  
  • Undergraduate students who are Summer graduates or Fall candidates will be invited by the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences to a December ceremony at the Lied Center and will have their names printed in the following spring’s commencement program.
  • For additional information about commencement, please visit the Commencement website.  

The CLAS Fall 2017 undergraduate graduation ceremony is December 10, 2017 at the Lied Center. If you’ve applied for fall 2017 graduation, you will receive an invitation through an Academic Notice in early November.  

Diplomas & Transcripts

  • Diplomas are printed and made available through the University Registrar’s Office.  They are typically available in early July for spring graduates, late September for summer graduates and late February for fall graduates, however, for the most current information please visit the Registrar’s website.
  • If all of your grades have posted and you have satisfied all degree requirements we can complete a Statement of Forthcoming Degree.  You can get this form from the University Registrar’s Office and then submit it to our office in 109 Strong Hall or fax it to us at 785-864-5806.
  • You should check with your College Graduation Advisor for the most current information, but typically your completed degree will appear on your KU transcript in late June for spring graduates, in late August for summer graduates and in late January for fall graduates. 
  • If you completed and were approved for a minor or a co-major, it should be noted on your official KU transcript; however minors and co-majors are not printed on the KU diploma.
    • Additionally, subplans such as Cell Biology, Genetics, etc. are not printed on the KU diploma. 
  • If you are working toward one degree, such as a BA degree with majors in Psychology and History, you will receive one diploma with both majors listed.

PLEASE read thoroughly for important information on finishing your degree. Please check your academic notices for alerts regarding important steps or missing paperwork.