• Home
  • Reinstatement Petition Process

Reinstatement Petition Process

The Reinstatement Petition Form is for students recently dismissed from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) or School of the Arts (SOTA) and students who have recently requested a Change of School into the CLAS or SOTA and were denied due to not meeting admission requirements.

Final deadline for submitting a Summer 2021 reinstatement petitions is on June 4th.

If you are enrolled for the Fall 2021 semester you will need to submit your reinstatement petition by the end of the day on June 16th, all petitions reviewed after that deadline will need to re-reenroll for fall if approved. 

Final deadline for reinstatement petition for Fall 2021 term is August 6th

Please do not wait to fill out a petition.  If additional information is needed we will contact you.  If you would like to talk to someone regarding your petition you can call (785) 864-3500 but you should not delay in submitting your petition.

Before you fill out the form:

Understand this is a petition to continue at KU, it does not remove your academic dismissal.  An approved petition will not guarantee that you will still receive Financial Aid.  You need to contact them to ask what steps you may have to take to petition for aid next semester.

If you are planning to petition for an exception to the academic standing policy, please note that your petition should demonstrate that you have taken advantage of opportunities available to you to improve your chances of academic success, including but not limited to: 

  • Completed your academic action plan with your advisor prior to the deadline to withdraw from classes
  • Higher term GPA compared to last semester
  • Within one semester (based on grade point calculation) of returning to good academic standing; and/or within one semester of graduation

Be prepared to answer these questions:

  • Explain why an exception should be made for you?
  • What documented extreme or unusual circumstances should be taken into consideration that prevented you from doing well at KU, specifically during this semester?
  • What steps do you plan on taking to improve your academics at KU if you were allowed to be readmitted or remain at KU? Please be specific.
  • If approved, you will need to earn your required KU term GPA every semester until your KU cumulative GPA reaches or exceeds a 2.00. Please tell us the specific grades you plan on earning in the classes you are enrolled in or hope to enroll in. Please note: Your academic performance may have also impacted your financial aid (including scholarships) and if that is the case we want to see your financial plan for the upcoming term. If you need assistance please contact Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Click here to complete online:  REINSTATEMENT PETITION FORM

You will be able to attach documentation once you have logged on and are in the online form.  You will need to attach your documents prior to hitting submit.  You will see the following options at the bottom of the form. 

  • Please use the latest version of Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari to open this document. There are known issues with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.
  • If you experience any technical difficulties with the online process, after you have tried it on one of the recommended browsers listed above, you can contact KU IT Help Desk at (785) 864-8080.  
  • If you can't fill out the form due to technical issues you can submit your petition on the paper reinstatement form.  Documentation that cannot be submitted with your online petition should be addressed to the College Advising and Student Services office, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd, Strong Hall RM 109, Lawrence, KS 66045-7535 or by fax, (785) 864-5806.

If petition is approved:

If approved, you will be allowed to continue at KU after your dismissal.  This will not remove the dismissal from your record.  An approval also does not guarantee that you will be eligible for financial aid or that an appeal for aid will be approved.   

If you had extenuating circumstances that impacted your academic performance, you may be better served by submitting a Retroactive Withdrawal Petition. Consider submitting a Retroactive Withdrawal Petition if you have documentation of a serious illness that affected your ability to complete all of your coursework after the withdrawal date or encountered documented extreme and unusual circumstances which were A) beyond your control, B) occurred after the withdrawal date, and C) could not have been addressed during the term in which the course(s) was taken. Please review the Retroactive Withdrawal Policy and petition form.