The College academic advising system utilizes an array of specialty advisors to make sure that you are getting the proper help when choosing your academic path. For most freshman in the College, your advisor will be in the Undergraduate Advising Center. There are a few exceptions. Those in the School of the Arts are advised by Sydney Stone and Miranda Cook in CASS. Students in the Lead program, University Honors Program, Edwards Campus degrees and College Online degree program will have an assigned advisor through those programs, additionally.
Once you’ve declared your major or minor, a team of advisors typically including a faculty member from your department and a full-time professional advisor will be there to help you.
After completing a minimum of 90 credit hours, the College will assign you a Graduation Advisor to help you through the process of completing your degree and graduating.
Contact CASS to learn more about your advising team. Refer to our list of advisors below if you are unsure of who your advisor is or would like to meet with an advisor to explore a different major or minor.
Freshmen in the School of the Arts are advised by Sydney Stone and Miranda Cook. Freshmen in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are advised by the Undergraduate Advising Center except for students in the College LEAD program, University Honors Program, Edward Campus degrees and College Online degree program.
Academic Advisors by Department
- Classics: See department for faculty advising
- East Asian Languages & Cultures, French & Italian, Germanic Languages & Literatures, Slavic Languages & Literatures: Laura Leonard
- English and History: Shantae Coleman
- History of Art: Sydney Stone
- Humanities: See department for faculty advising
- Literature, Language and Writing at Edwards Campus: Sharla Cruse
- Philosophy, Religious Studies, and Spanish & Portuguese: Amy Schmidt
International & Interdisciplinary Studies
- African & African-American Studies; American Studies; Latin American & Caribbean Studies; Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies: Amy Schmidt
- Environmental Studies: Lisa Hamblen
- Global & International Studies and Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies: Laura Leonard
- Jewish Studies: See department for faculty advising
- Indigenous Studies: See department for faculty advising
Natural Sciences & Mathematics
- Astronomy: See department for faculty advising
- Biotechnology and Molecular Biosciences at Edwards Campus: Sandy Leppin
- Chemistry: Bhargavi Krishnan
- Geography & Atmospheric Science, Geology, and UKAN Teach: Lisa Hamblen
- Mathematics: See department for faculty advising
- Physics: Bhargavi Krishnan
- Undergraduate Biology: See department for advising
Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Anthropology: Lisa Hamblen
- Applied Behavioral Sciences and Economics: Anna van Haandel
- Communication Studies: Brenton Miller
- Communication Studies and Psychology Online: Denise Farmer
- Linguistics: See department faculty for advising
- Law and Society and Public Administration at Edwards Campus: Contact Edwards Campus for advising
- Political Science and Speach-Language-Hearing: Kristina Youngblood
- Behavioral Neuroscience (Psychology), Psychology (students with last names A-K), and Sociology: Kat McCreery
- Psychology (students with last names L-Z): Claire Ruhlman
- Psychology at Edwards Campus: Sharla Cruse
School of the Arts:
- Dance (students with last names A-I), Theatre (students with last names A-I), and Visual Art: Sydney Stone
- Dance (students with last names J-Z), Film & Media Studies, and Theatre (students with last names J-Z): Miranda Cook
BGS in Liberal Arts and Sciences
Lawrence campus and online students pursuing a BGS Liberal Arts & Sciences are advised by Cindy Thompson.
Graduation advisors are assigned to seniors in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and School of the Arts by student’s last name.
- A thru B, W thru Z – Precious Sanders
- C thru G – Cortney McKay
- H thru L - Liz Barton
- M thru Q – Darla Kelly
- R thru V – David Nickol
How to view your assigned advisor(s)
A student's assigned advisor can be viewed through myKU. Navigate to the Academics link at the top of the page and select the Academics Tab to view all of the student's assigned advisor(s). Some departments have shared advising responsibilities rather than one specific advisor. If you do not see a specific advisor name at this location, you can find additional information about your department's advising team here.